Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nutrition 101 - The Beginning...

Okay, I have chosen my first book in our nutritional journey! It is entitled, "The Bible Cure for Cancer" by Don Colbert, M.D.. The reason I chose this one to begin with is that it is short and concise and deals pointedly with one of our main concerns: cancer.
According to this book, studies show that one out of every three persons will develop some type of cancer and one of every six of those people will die as a result! That is pretty alarming, huh? The good news is that through medical and nutritional advancements, the death rate from cancer is actually decreasing! Whew! Now that is what we all want to hear!!!
A little background on cancer itself...cancer is caused by immature cells. Instead of maturing and doing what these cells were created to do, they remain immature and begin to steal nutrition from our bodies enabling them to become larger and deadlier. "70-80% of cancers are caused by the food we eat, air we breathe, and the water we drink, as well as lifestyle and environmental factors." (p.4)
So basically we are in a war on all fronts! Although I realize all of these areas need to be assessed, our family is choosing right now to address the area of food. I am a firm believer in establishing one good habit at a time, so as not to become overwhelmed and quit, so the majority of my discussions will be food related.
With that in mind, let us consider some facts:
* Our diets directly impact our immune system, either positively or negatively.
* About 1/3 of all cancer deaths in our nation each year are dietary related.
* Our crops are sprayed with about 2 billion pounds of pesticides each year, many of which are carcinogenic (cancer-causing).
* Our farm animals feed on millions of pounds of hormones and antibiotics each year.
* Just as wood burning produces smoke, food burning (or metabolizing) produces free radicals. These free radicals can damage cells and in some cases cause cells to mutate and produce cancerous growths. A strong antioxidant defense system is the key to overcoming these "threats" to our cells.
So what is a body to do? Well, to begin with, it is wise to assess what we are eating and the effects that it will have on our bodies. The old adage, "garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind. Just being more conscious of the fact that to every choice there is a consequence helps us to make better eating decisions.
Secondly, limiting high fat foods, especially high fat meats, will do wonders for us all. Of course, we need to know what these are, so a little research in that area would be beneficial. Off the top of my head, I already know that pork is a meat marbled with fat and definitely a high-fat meat. So I will be choosing to stay completely away from pork. Isn't it ironic that the last meal I ate before reading this chapter was B-B-Q from Mickey Pigs!!!
Leviticus 3:17 declares, "You must never eat any fat or blood. This is a permanent law for you and all your descendants, wherever they may live."
Lastly,but most importantly, I am asking God to give me wisdom and discretion as I take the first steps on this journey. I hope to be able to keep the "big picture" ever before me and realize that the goals I want to reach in the future require certain steps for me to take today. It is foolish to wish for wisdom and health, yet not set foot on the paths that will take me there. So, my prayer is that God will enable me to make wise choices now while the opportunity is here.
Hopefully others will be inspired to make better choices as well and step out on their own journey of healthy living!

No comments: